Residential, Commercial, Industrial customers burns the gas through various equipments for different purposes for e,g. Residential customer use it for cooking through hot plate, water heating through geysers etc. Industrial customer use it for heating, cooling, power generation etc.
Gas is supplied to the customers at the usage point through linear gas pipelines as this can not be stored in cylinders like LPG. These pipelines are of mild steel (MS) or polyethylene (PE). Gas flows to customer end through various stages of pressure reduction. The piped natural gas is a safe mode on account of following reasons
- Pipes thickness etc is designed with very high level of safety
- There are multiple valves on the network which can be closed in case of gas leak
- Gas being lighter than air goes into air without accumulation
- Pipelines are underground at a safe depth
- Pipelines are monitored for any leakage on regular basis
- Pressure at the burning tip or near the user point is much lower which avoid any kind of explosion