Gujarat Gas Company Limited (GGCL) holds the distinction of being India’s largest private sector player in the natural gas transmission and distribution business.
Incorporated in 1980, with the primary objective to procure, distribute and utilize natural gas and allied technology, GGCL pioneered the concept of combined natural gas distribution to the industrial, commercial and domestic customers. Today, it supplies gas to more than 3,86,000 domestic, commercial and industrial customers and serves over 1,98,000 Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) users.
The corporate office of GGCL is in Ahmedabad and its area of operations is spread in the districts of Surat and Bharuch.
In 1989, the company began its operations in the industrial hotspots of Ankleshwar and Bharuch in South Gujarat. In the year 1991, GGCL expanded its operations to Surat, the diamond and textile powerhouse of India. Its CNG operations started in 1992. The first CNG station of India was setup in Surat.
The company has been a part of the BG Group portfolio since 1997. BG Group has a 65.12% controlling stake in GGCL. FIs, FIIs and public hold the remaining 34.88% of shares.
GGCL is listed on Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), National Stock Exchange (NSE), Ahmedabad Stock Exchange (ASE) and Vadodara Stock Exchange (VSE), all in India.